Please Read Carefully!
The Paterson Police Department is now utilizing the New Jersey Firearms Application Registration System (FARS) for completing firearms applications. Please follow the instructions below to submit INITIAL and SUBSEQUENT firearms application. At the end of the application process and/or for further assistance please contact the Firearms Investigations Unit at (973) 321-1136; Det. Keith Rotsaert (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Det. Rene Alicea (email@example.com).
Instructions for all Firearms Application
- STEP 1: Follow the link to: www.njportal.com/NJSP/FARS (This site or portal is not administered by the Paterson Police Department)
- STEP 2: The ORI number for Paterson Residents is: NJ0160800 (You will NOT be able to complete this application without this ORI#)
- STEP 3: Click, online S.T.S. 033 Form and complete the online application.You may complete the application using a smartphone, mobile device, laptop or desktop computer. You will need to provide the email addresses of two (2) reputable references (references may be family members). Incorrect contact information/email addresses will result in a delay with the application.
Print a copy of your application and confirmation page
** For Initial applicants only - At the end of the application; and are directed to do so, you must print out the identogo New Jersey Universal Fingerprint Form which will have the confirmation number filled in the contributor case # section. Applicants appearing for fingerprinting appointments at identogo without this form will be turned away.
- STEP 4: After you complete your online application, contact Det. Rotsaert (firstname.lastname@example.org) and or Det. Alicea (email@example.com) at (973) 321-1136. You must appear (by appointment only) at the Paterson Police Department to:
- Submit a non-refundable payment which is required to be made PRIOR to the completion of a background investigation as per NJAC 13:54-1.4. The fee for the INITIAL FID card is $5.00 and the fee for each hamdgun purchase is an additional $2.00.
- If you have lived outside of New Jersey within the last 10 years, you will need to complete and sign a Consent for Mental Health Records Search Form SP-66 in person
- Provide a copy of the application and the confirmation page.
- Provide your identification and FID card (if applicable) AND verification of your residence at the time of payment.
- PROOF OF RESIDENCY is required. The ONLY forms accepted are: A) PSE&G bill with name and address; B) W-2 Form with the name and address; or a HARDLINE PHONE BILL.
** Once your application investigation is complete, the Paterson Police Department will contact you for issuance of your Firearms ID Cards and/or pistol purchase permit documents. ** DO NOT show up to headquaters or call Det. Rotsaert if you receive an email stating that the application has been approved. You will be contacted to retrieve your documents once they are ready for pick up.
** Please advise your references that they will receive an e-mail via FARS with the reference questions to be answered. This can be completed using a mobile device or desktop computer. Please advise them to complete the questions immediately to progress your background investigation.
Please ensure that you verify all of your information is correct prior to submitting it. Incorrect information entered will cause a delay in the processing of your application.
* HANDWRITTEN APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED!
* CROSS OUTS & WHITE-OUT WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED!
Firearms Application Fee
Application for Firearms Purchaser Identification Card/Purchase a Handgun STS-033: Certified Bank Check (personal checks are not acceptable) or money order payable to: Paterson Police Department in the amount of $7.00. **or exact change in cash**
Application for a Duplicate/Update Firearms Purchaser Identification Card/STS-033: No Fee